Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Go West Young Man...er, Woman...

I was trying to absorb myself into whatever topics of conversation Riley deemed important this morning on the way to school because our mornings have been a little sad of late. It seems she has finally realized that this kindergarten thing takes away from her time at home with her "stuff" as well as her time with her mama. She assures me she loves class, her school and her teacher, but she "wishes she had more "home hours" as she called them. So, we're talking on the way to school and out of the blue she says, "is that field over there like the Wild West"? Hummm....I'm seeing corn, lots of corn, some farm houses, straight road ahead, nope, no Wild West here, but I entertained the topic and said, "maybe that's what it looked like". Then she asked what part of the United States the Wild West was in and I started naming some western states when she blurted out, "people went to California a long time ago mama, that was the first Wild West". So I'm doing my part to keep the way odd conversation going and the focus off of the fact that she was leaving her "stuff" and her mama for a while to go to school and answered with, "that's right baby, lots of people went all the way to California and dug into the ground and tried to find gold". From the back seat, just as serious as she could; my dear, sweet, smart girl simply replied, "California must have a lot of holes..."

Witty, that girl. I think she gets it from me.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that's why it's going to fall in the Pacific one day! Funny!

    ReplyDelete