Saturday, August 28, 2010

Treading Water

That's what we're all about here in northern MS these days....We're "treading water".  Never mind that our precious big girl learned to swim this summer (finally, thank you God)....we're treading water.  We did enjoy a fantastic Hilton Head, SC vacation (#5 with the family) the last week of July....but, right now we're "treading water".  Never mind that she and her fish-like cousin were water logged each and every day while on vacation, now... we're "treading water".  
Once all the relaxation was over, I started what I consider to be a job sent straight from the heavens above!  However, I find myself "treading water".  I was all set up to be the PTO president at Riley's school for the upcoming school year, but OH MY did God have other plans.  He felt I should "tread water".  Long story short = out of the blue there was a phone call, interview, job offer, and a 5th grade position was mine at Riley's school.  In a down economy with budget cuts and increasing classroom sizes, I was fortunate enough to get a job doing the only thing I know how to do. (Just thankful that I realize this important bit of information). **Funny side note:  When I quit teaching after we had Riley, I just knew I would eventually find another career that didn't involve lesson planning, grading, parent conferences, and trips to the "teacher supply store".  The last six years at home were full of beautiful experiences, tear-filled days, unending laughs, joys of motherhood and ROUTINE.  That's one thing I'm really good at.  I thrive on the predictable, the road traveled, the straight and narrow path.  I get that from my daddy.  I love a routine and the comfort that it brings.  Those that know me can attest to my ridiculous need for routine.  I've been made fun of for this, fully embraced my anal tendencies, and tried a million times (at least) to "go with the flow".  It's just not how I'm made!  The unknown scares me and makes me feel like I'm drowning....SO, God decided I should "tread water".  Funny how that works out, really funny.  Hear me laughing?
 
School started August 5th, and I think I lost all contact with the outside world at least a full 3 days before that (in-service days).  The pressure I put on myself isn't exactly fair (or even reasonable most of the time), but that's me...I'm learning to "tread water".  Things are SO new for us as a family. Dinner isn't ready or waiting lots of nights, we run out of milk (perish the thought), there might be a little more dust on my foyer table (if you know me, you know that cuts me to the bone), but God was convinced convinced me that I needed to hang on, trust, and "tread water".  
Our move to Mississippi last summer really puzzled me.  
I couldn't get over how things fell into place for us.  I didn't understand how things could just work out so perfectly, and if I'm being 100 % honest...I still don't get it.  BUT, one thing I know for sure is that this is exactly where my precious family of 3 is supposed to be.  While we are "treading water" in our new set of circumstances, I find myself thankful each day that I was taught long ago how to swim.  

Trust is a hard thing to learn, and an even harder thing to practice. 

2 comments:

  1. We read this post for Nannie and Grandaddy. She said, and I quote, "That girl has a way with words". And, I of course, agreed as did your dad. This was a great post and was thoroughly enjoyed by all! Love you all.
    G&P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so enjoyed reading this and hearing that you are back in the classroom setting! You are so good at it - I know you will be a blessing to lots of families (as you were to mine) this year and years to come. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete